Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Viking longship

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Evening gents, and other life forms. I am stuck in a quandary about a project I am going to start soon and thought I would ask the audience for their opinion.
I recently picked up the plastic Viking longship model in 1/50 scale for a bargain. Now I don't know what to do with it regarding its usefulness in a game.
So, here are my ideas, please let me know which you think is best.

Option 1, build ship, then remove bottom half to form a waterline model. Pro- looks nice, con- how many games actually have a large enough expanse of water!

Option 2 build ship, then make a base with either the ship propped up, or on rolling logs. Pro- can go on any table, looks nice, can easily be used as a 'camp' for rules that require such a thing. Con- why is a ship on land!

Option 3 build ship, make a base with props or logs, and make a base with huge waves to hide the part of the ship that would be in the water, pro- multiuse, con- why is a ship on land, I have to make 2 bases and those waves are really frelling big!

Thoughts please :D
Russ

Re: Viking longship

Postby maelmordha » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:06 pm

I actually have one of these as well. I've had it for years... and years... and.... well you get the idea.

My thought was to use it as a beached longship for raiders coming or going. That way it either becomes a jump off point or an objective or both (and you don't have to use that crap poly sail). It could also be used as an anchored river raider. Vikings would normally beach so many ships and leave a few at sea as guards when the army was inland doing what vikings did.

I think I did actually use it once as one of the viking ships helping to attack a fortified Scots/Pictish settlement (based on 'Dane's Dyke' near Crail).
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Option Four- next time an army lets you down on the gaming table, pop them in the longship, add fire and break out the Valhallamallows. :twisted:

Or, more pratically, I like Option 1, it allows for raiding party scenarios; pillage, plunder an` that.

Cheers, Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby Russ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Valhallamallows! :lol:
Russ

Postby roma912 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Russ wrote:Valhallamallows! :lol:

:lol:

Option 1 or option 2. If however, you opt for option 4 please let me know as I would love to see the Vahallamallows!
roma912

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:04 pm

I am tempted to make some valhallamallows, just for the fact when I first read it I nearly wet myself!
I still can't make my mind up, I think I wi end up making 2 bases. I like the idea of a propped up ship, as if it had just been built to sit in a Viking camp or settlement or a ship on logs being pushed to inland waterways by very keen raiders. Downside of course is a ridiculous looking base for on the water stuff, should have bought two!
Whatever happens it will be on the blog :D
Russ

Return to Public Forum