Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Stouthearted Men; Yom Kippur War Diary

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi all
16th October is the 43rd anniversary of one of the many Arab/Israeli battles along the Suez Canal. So I thought that I`d throw it open to anyone who wants a game.
It`s got palace intrigue that would shame Game of Thrones, sand, insubordinate commanders, sand, and a massive big canal that causes nothing but fechtin` for 100 years, and more sand.
Over two previous games, I believe that Russ and I have ironed out the wrinkles in adapting Flummaries of Flum-Flum for the Middle East, for which I can provide both armies and all terrain.
The Israelis lost as many battles as they won in 1973, and there is no rule that says they must win at Flummaries of Flum-Flum either; infact the last two games Russ and I have had went all `Walk like an Egyptian`.
All players need to bring is a tape measure and their dice.
If I get another player we could use a 6` x 4`, but if we get more players I could see about bumping it up to a 6` x 8`.
Let me know if anyone`s interested.
Cheers, Ian
Last edited by WingAttackPlan-R on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Stouthearted Men and the Chinese Farm

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Just to clarify, Flummaries of Flum-Flum = Flames of War rules. ;)
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Operation Stouthearted Men, and the Chinese Farm

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm

I will check my availability.
Russ

Re: Operation Stouthearted Men, and the Chinese Farm

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 pm

That would be top-notch if you could Russ.

If you win three games on the bounce, I`ll have to stop blaming the rules for my incompetence as a commander. :D

Cheers, Ian
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Stouthearted Men; Yom Kippur War Diary

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

6th October 1973

After a hugely effective deception plan, the Egyptians launch `Operation Badr` and cross the Suez Canal, taking the Israelis completely by surprise. Israeli fortifications are surrounded and early counter attacks sustain heavy losses to anti-tank guided weapons and surface to air missiles.
At the same time, Syrian armour begins rolling towards the Israeli occupied Golan Heights. Unable to achieve surprise, the Syrians rely on vast numbers of tanks and artillery support to bludgeon through Israeli lines, and by the end of the first day have penetrated the 1967 ceasefire line at several points.
As 6th October is the Israeli `Day of Atonement` or `Yom Kippur` (from which the war will soon take it`s name) almost the whole country has shut down for a public holiday. Soldiers take to the streets with megaphones announcing that war has begun and reservists are to report for duty.

Story of Operation Badr-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Badr_(1973)
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:16 pm

7th October 1973

Overnight, the Egyptians had secured their bridgehead on the east bank of the Suez Canal. In a superb feat of logistics, they now had tens of thousands of troops and hundreds of tanks in the Sinai. Israeli forts, or `moazim`, of the Bar-Lev line were attacked and besieged. Over the next few days seventeen of the eighteen moazim will fall, with only Fort `Budapest` holding out.
Realising that the immediate threat to Israel towns came from the closer Golan fighting, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) concentrate their efforts there.
As part of this effort, the Israeli Navy conducts a sweep along the Syrian coast resulting in the Battle of Latakia, the first naval battle fought by missile boats beyond visual range of one another.
On land, the Syrians are taking large tank and APC losses, but are whittling down the numerically inferior Israelis. Israel`s 7th Armored Brigade and `Barak` Brigade face five Syrian divisions and are being overwhelmed in places by sheer weight of numbers. The Israeli Air Force`s attempts to support the ground troops is thwarted by the new Soviet-supplied SAMs.
Guided missiles are now dominating the war, on land, sea, and in the air.

Fort Budapest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Fort_Budapest

Naval Battle of Latakia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Latakia

Failure of Israeli Air Force against SAM threat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Model_5
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:50 pm

8th October 1973 - Day 3

The Israeli counter attacks in the Sinai are repelled with large casualties. By day`s end, Israel has lost over half it`s total tank strength in the Sinai.
The Israeli Navy fights another missile battle, this time with the Egyptians, at the Battle of Baltim, destroying more Osa class missile boats.
A ferocious tank battle continues on the Golan with the Israelis just about holding the northern end, but losing ground in the flatter south. The Israeli force is made up of British-made Centurion tanks (locally named `Sho`t meaning whip or scourge) because their robust suspension can handle the rocky volcanic terrain of the Golan Heights better than the American M-48 and M-60 tanks that are sent to the Sinai desert.
The Syrians continue to attack despite losing hundreds of tanks and APCs, now throwing the Assad Republican Guard and their new T-62 tanks into the battle.

Naval Battle of Baltim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Baltim
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:46 pm

9th October 1973 - Day 4

The epic four day battle (and regular wargamer`s subject) dubbed `The Valley of Tears` concludes. The Israelis are down to a scratch force of seven Sho`t runners with a couple of rounds of ammunition left each. As the commander signals that they can`t hold on any longer, a company of Sho`t tanks appear and join the battle. The Syrians believe this to be the vanguard of much larger Israeli reserves and the fight goes out of them; they turn and withdraw to their own lines leaving hundreds of tanks and APCs behind. The company is in fact a group of repaired tanks led by an officer returning from his honeymoon. The 7th Armored is down to a handful of runners and the Barak Brigade is almost completely destroyed
In the air, the Israeli Shahak and Nesher (Mirage III and 5) and Kurnass (F-4E Phantom) are shooting down large numbers of Arab MiGs and Sukhois as the Egyptians prepare for an Israeli counterattack in the Sinai.

The Battle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Tears

CO of 77th Bn, 7th Armored Brigade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avigdor_Kahalani

Contemporary Photographs of the Battle
http://idf-armor.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/valley-of-tears-golan-1973-yom-kippur.html
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm

10th October 1973 - Day 5

Israeli reserves arrive in force on the Golan and begin to pursue the retreating Syrians.
On the Sinai front, the battle between the Egyptians and Israelis has become a bloody attritional affair with both sides winning local victories. Any Egyptian unit that leaves the protective SAM umbrella is destroyed by the Israeli Air Force. Israeli counterattacks are repulsed.
At command level, both sides are suffering a breakdown in relationships. Israeli General Sharon repeatedly disobeys orders (sometimes with great tactical success) and several colleagues demand his dismissal. Like Patton before him, Sharon could be a very effective commander, but his appetite for self-promotion is both a blessing and a curse.
Egyptian General Shazly, leader of the `Badr` operation, has his own troubles. He wishes to keep a reserve on the west bank of the Suez incase the Israelis attempt a crossing of their own. Overruled by President Sadat, who demands all forces be sent to the east side to fight the Israelis, Shazly is threatened with dismissal and Courts Martial when he objects.

A stash of ITN reports from 1973 showing Centurions, half-tracks, Pattons etc. but also some esoteric stuff such as M7 Priests, M51 Shermans, etc...
http://www.itnsource.com/de/compilations/crime-conflict/war/lr/S25010802/Yom-Kippur-War-Footage/
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 pm

11th October 1973 - Day 6

The Israelis counterattack against the Syrians on the northern Golan Heights. The Israeli Air Force has begun to counter the SAM threat and attacks Syrian infrastructure, slowing the supply of replacement equipment from the Soviet Union.
There is a second naval battle at Latakia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Latakia
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Next

Return to Public Forum