Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Horizon Wars; Zippitty-Zappitty-Zoo-Zoo-Zoo

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi all
Richard and myself played through a couple of games of Osprey`s Sci-Fi shooty-fest `Horizon Wars`.
First game saw us come to the conclusion that the gradual whittling away of armour and the accompanying record-keeping gets a bit tedious. It reminded me of `Full Thrust` in that the game has a lot of excellent points but watching your forces slowly bleed to death once defeat is assured is a bit of a pain.
Much better that things go all shooty-boombastic like they do in the epic `Epic:Armageddon` which is epic an` proper bo selecta an` that.

I understand that they`re going to relaunch Epic, I hope they won`t make it into a corporate boondoggle for separating fanboys` from their cash and placing a low premium on enjoyment.
Reminds me of when Ridley Scott first reduxed Blade Runner; greatness shone through. But by the fifth and sixth `directors cut` you just wished he`d stopped at the first one.

Back at the ranch. Richard and I agreed `house rules` for HW whereby a critical hit rolls for random damage, similar to the system in `A Call to Arms` and we got more smoking wreckage in 45 mins than we got in the first game of over two hours.
And smoking wreckage, after all, IS the point of sci-fi gaming.

Looking forward to a New Year of on-table mayhem and carnage.

Peace and goodwill.
Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Horizon Wars; Zippitty-Zappitty-Zoo-Zoo-Zoo

Postby Russ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:49 pm

That was it, I new there was something that put me off when I read the rules, it was the constant chip chip chip at the rock, way it worked.

I imagine the relaunch of epic wont be messed about with, I reckon it will just be a big box with rules and cardboard buildings and 2 opposing plastic armies, most likely guard and orcs.
They know the existing rule book has a big fan base and the other rereleased games, space hulk and bloodbowl were direct copies of the original with shiny new miniatures.

My biggest preference for epic is simply to do with the way they handle suppression, very few games do, and it's a massive difference to how a unit can react, and the fact that ALL units in the game suffer its problems.

We can only wait and see.
Russ

Postby roma912 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:02 am

Lead to believe the new figures will be 8mm not 6mm

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/10/ ... -news.html

Strange, I find myself looking at Epic stuff a lot lately, although it seems to get very high prices on Evil Bay for very little shiney ;)

Pun intended...

Realistically, I need to get the 15mm sci-fi on the table at least once before even considering another scale in the same period :lol:

Cheers, Ross
roma912

Postby maelmordha » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:06 pm

On the subject of SciFi I've been digging out my Starship Troopers again. My initial thoughts were for SST based on Chain of Command, but IABSM! might be a better fit for 150 bugs on the table at once (plus 5 tankers 3 Plasma bugs and 20 Hoppers) :)

They'll make an appearance in the new year.

"they sucked his brains out!"
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:29 pm

One day I`ll finish that Epic 40K army that I`ve been talking about for the last five years. ;)

Starship Troopers would be a hoot, I`m in.

" You smash the entire area, you kill anything that has more than two legs. DO YOU GET ME?"
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18 am

roma912 wrote:Lead to believe the new figures will be 8mm not 6mm

Strange, I find myself looking at Epic stuff a lot lately, although it seems to get very high prices on Evil Bay for very little shiney ;)

Pun intended...

Realistically, I need to get the 15mm sci-fi on the table at least once before even considering another scale in the same period :lol:

Cheers, Ross

To be fair, some of them were already closer to 8mm, and the vehicles were always undersized.
If you do take the plunge, let me know what your looking for, I have boxes of this stuff. It was so bad I sold 9 titans as a job lot, I still have around 20 of them.
Russ

Postby roma912 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Russ wrote:
roma912 wrote:Lead to believe the new figures will be 8mm not 6mm

Pun intended...

Cheers, Ross

To be fair, some of them were already closer to 8mm, and the vehicles were always undersized.
If you do take the plunge, let me know what your looking for, I have boxes of this stuff. It was so bad I sold 9 titans as a job lot, I still have around 20 of them.

OK, if I was to jump in at the deep end and start yet another army in yet another scale I'll let you know :D

Cheers, Ross
roma912

Return to Public Forum