Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Yay, Battlefront! Nam and Fate of a Nation

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Fair`s fair.
Battlefront can get criticism, including from me, but praise should come when justified also,

1- Had a problem with a Battlefront product and they more than made-up for it, in a prompt and courteous manner.

2- They are bringing out stand-alone rule books, in collaboration with Osprey, for `Nam`, and Arab/Israeli `Fate of a Nation` (which will now include both the 1967 and 1973 wars).
Both books will follow the much improved `Team Yankee` system and will contain rules, lists, the whole ball of wax, the whole nine yards, and the whole enchilada.

Yay Battlefront, have some of my cash. :D
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Yay, Battlefront! Nam and Fate of a Nation

Postby TomMcC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks, Ian,

interesting. I saw a pic of the Nam cover under the Osprey and Battlefront banners and it had me wondering. Does Nam sound like a revamp of Tropic Lightning? I wasn't sure what it was. And an Osprey book might suggest it could be slightly cheaper than many rules sets.

Also, we tried FoW 4 last week. It was OK, though I think we were making it more complex than it actually is - if that makes sense. Coming at it from all the previous versions of FoW, I think we were looking for complexity that wasn't there. We did have a laugh, though, and it was a good game of Late War Brits vs Gerries.

Only one thing still stands out for me though, is that FoW lacks any kind of opportunity fire or overwatch status. Units can do the panzerbush manouever, moving from behind cover and crossing open ground to end behind cover again, and there's nothing the other side can do about it. I might still be missing something with FoW on that though.

thanks for the pointers.
cheers,
Tom
TomMcC

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32 am

Hi Tom
Definitely agree on overwatch, I still find myself asking `why can`t I shoot?` as a Tiger tank rumbles slowly, and mockingly, past for the majority of it`s move, only to end said move behind cover with the crew smoking fags and eating cakes.

I think the `Nam` book may be replacing all the existing FoW Vietnam books (three is it?).

Haven`t played V4 yet, but I`m still angling for a simple demo game of the similar `Team Yankee`, maybe just starting with tanks and artillery and throw in other elements when confidence grows. Got US, USSR, and Brits in 6mm; should be the scale Team Yankee is made for. :twisted:

`Fate of a Nation` will find me with an actual proper scale 15mm army ready to go; got the Israelis in 15mm and now working-up the Arabs.

Cheers, Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 am

Well I got my copy of the Nam book, and although I have not played flames v4 or team doodle dandee it appears to be the same as TY but with a little seasoning.

Must admit the new ‘force’ lists compared to good old army list has lost me, for my airmobile I need to take more than 1 formation as it would be a very small game, but who is in command if I have 2.

Just so happens that I am painting my airmobile infantry now, so a game could be on the table very soon.

Does seem more streamlined than flames 3 but alas still no reactive fire unless assaulted. Thought they may have brought it in for MG teams at least.

Another thing they have missed which I think is important for Vietnam would be blinds or ghosts. You know, the possibility of having an enemy present when they may not etc, they have got around it by making all communist infantry appear from ambush, hardly the same effect.

Will have to try it out and see how it goes.

And apologies to Ian, I have no tanks, just lots of infantry and lots of choppers, how it should be 8-)
Russ

Postby maelmordha » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am

Russ wrote:Does seem more streamlined than flames 3 but alas still no reactive fire unless assaulted. Thought they may have brought it in for MG teams at least.

Another thing they have missed which I think is important for Vietnam would be blinds or ghosts. You know, the possibility of having an enemy present when they may not etc, they have got around it by making all communist infantry appear from ambush, hardly the same effect.

Charlie Dont Surf man.... Charlie Dont Surf.
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby Russ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 pm

maelmordha wrote:
Charlie Dont Surf man.... Charlie Dont Surf.

Ha, another special rule forgotten, +1 morale bonus to air cav during beachhead assault
Russ

Postby maelmordha » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

Only if they're playing Ride of the Valkyries
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm

In Team Yankee it doesn`t seem to matter that there are two (or more) formations. I thought I remember reading that you can nominate one as the lead unit, but I can`t remember to be honest.

I`m up for some `Nam.

Russ wrote:And apologies to Ian, I have no tanks, just lots of infantry and lots of choppers, how it should be 8-)

That`s just plain pinko talk right there. :evil:

More meds and tanks please nurse, mehhhhhhhhh!!! :?
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:10 am

Just rechecked Team Yankee which says that you must have a minimum of one formation, but thereafter you may have as many formations as you wish. For Team Yankee, my 100pt armies in 6mm for US and USSR are one formation, but the Brits are two, and it seems to make no difference to any aspect of the game. I am still reading however.

Agree about blinds. The use of blinds in I Ain`t Been Shot Mum` is simple, yet adds hugely to the fog-of-war aspect of the game.

Don`t agree about tanks in `Nam. Eight years from now, when I finish my Arabs/Israelis in 15mm and start my `Nam force, it`s going to be tanks, tanks, tanks.

Has Russ heard that Revell are doing plastic kit `Nam choppers in 1/100 scale (15mm)? The Hueys are pretty nice, haven`t seen a Cobra yet.
Huey
https://www.revell.com/germany/aircraft ... o35rUx2vIU
Cobra
https://www.revell.com/germany/aircraft ... o355Ex2vIU

`Zippos and Pattons and Sheridans and Dusters, Centurions and big guns firing bunker busters,
Things with tracks shooting things that have wings, these are a few of my favourite things.`

Vroom Vroom Mary Poppins :twisted:
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby maelmordha » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

Blinds blinds blinds, pink, Di Di MAU AND Zips in the Wire - ROCK n ROLL

CDSa.jpg
CDSa.jpg (160.53 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
maelmordha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Public Forum