Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

kursk 75th anniversary

Postby TomMcC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Mainly for Ian,

The 75th anniversary of kursk was a couple of weeks ago. I had meant to suggest a biggish tankie game of part of this earlier in year, to time with the anniversary, but life got in the way.

However, the idea is still bubbling under. I have a nice scenario of the part of the high point in the south on 12 july involving elements of Totenkopf vs 5 Guards Mech and 18 tank corps. It would involve around 40 tanks on each side. Each model essentially representing a platoon. Plus infantry and panzer grenadiers and supporting stuff. Good quality stuff on both sides in what is intended as a fast n furious head to head bash.

If we could make a go of it in next couple of months, how many tanks could you bring to the table? 15mm would be nice, but 6mm would do fine. They key to the scenario is that it's mainly panzer 3's vs t34's and t70's. Need 20 panzer 3 and 20 t34, 14 t70, plus sundry other bits n pieces of the usual suspects. I can provide some of both sides in 15mm, but not that number of Pz 3's. 6mm might be best, but I don't have any.

For me, the good thing about it is that it's not a fantasy scenario with the full german menagerie. Biggest tanks are 1 company of tigers vs 1 compay of su152's and 1 company of su85's. All the rest is Pz3 and Pz4, t34 and t70 tanks, marders, stugs, su76's etc. and based on the orders of battle.

For rules, I'm open to ideas. FoW is possible because it's familiar, but anything else that's fast and fun would be fine. The scenario was originally done for Spearhead.

It's just a thought. I'll be down on sunday to see your CD game with Klavs, so could talk more then if you're interested.
cheers,
Tom
TomMcC

Re: kursk 75th anniversary

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Howdo Tom, hope all is well.

I have a message from Richard (secretary) that CSSC have given both halls to a football conference on Sunday, and only just bothered to inform Richard.
I have booked a day off work to attend Klavs` CD game and now have no game, and am out of pocket.

Richard puts a lot of work into our club, which I respect him for a great deal. I hope that it is clear that my issue is not with him.

As for the Kursk game, it sounds great. Would you believe it is one of the few areas my 6mm lot don`t cover? Always meant to do a Kursk thing, but never got round to it. I have Tigers and half-tracks, and that is about it.
I have Tigers, infantry, and two 88s in 15mm. I have 10 x T-34 but they are T-34/85. Also have 8 x Katyusha in 15mm.

Would very much like to do some Kursk tanking, hopefully at a reliable venue.

Cheers, Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby maelmordha » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Hmmmmmmm clunk clunk whiiirrrrrr ..... 20 15mm Pz 3s you say..... when do you need them for and which models :)

IABSM! would handle that without a peep. I could run a practice/viability game sometime if you like. I do have a few 15mm T55s and BMPs for a 1973 game after all (or in 6mm). I could run off some M48/60s and a few Sh'ot (curse them!). Depending on the dates of course.
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Concur!
Some of the Market Garden battles Steve and I have played contained a fair number of stands, as did a couple of 1973 Arab-Israeli games. All were in 6mm.
Definitely think that such large scale battles lend themselves well to 6mm, but 15mm should not be automatically discounted.

I have a large Israeli force in 15mm that may get a run-out against Steve`s Arabs, possibly using IABSM?
-BTW Steve, have Sho`t-will travel, but looking at how to get M48 (the 105mm armed version played a big part in the Egyptian front alongside 105mm armed M60, which I have).

Very interested in large scale tank battles, and would like to be a part of the Kursk game. Pipeline may then produce: Sinai or Golan 1973, Iran-Iraq war, India-Pakistan 1971, Operation Goodwood 1944, North Africa 1941/42. Loadsa possibilities, loadsa tanks!

Maybe we should play our next instalment of Hell`s Highway as a tester for using IABSM for large tank battles? Or, an Arab/Israeli shindig in 15mm using IABSM? Or are there other rules that we have not considered? At least one other lurker is following this conversation and is interested also. :D

Tanks for the memories
Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby maelmordha » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:47 pm

This M48?
M48A5.JPG
M48A5.JPG (91.59 KiB) Viewed 336 times
maelmordha
Site Admin

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Bloomin` crickey! :shock:

Yes, the one on the top/on the left.

We need to have a conversation friend/chum. :D

Your most loyal subject
Ian
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Return to Public Forum