Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Team Yankee - Iron Maiden - HANG....FIRE!!!

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 pm

The OFFICIAL (accept no substitutes) DWC TY BAOR thread! Got that everybody? Splendid, then I shall begin.

First up is the very nice Chieftain set, boasting five tanks in the box set.

BAOR1.jpg
BAOR1.jpg (88.96 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

You can build the standard Chieftain (on the right) or the up-armoured Chieftain Stillbrew (on the left). Crisp detail, some abstractions, but all-in-all, a real nice tank in 15mm. The box set comes with data cards, six commanders with varying poses, some stores, and a decal sheet.

Now the issue with the decal sheet has to addressed. On opening the box, the decals, printed by Fantasy Printshop for Battlefront, look great- callsigns, Union Jacks, reg plates, sooper-dooper.
However, the heavily printed items such as the UJs and the black reg plates start to fall apart at the slightest contact with water. And right about now I sense why the promo pics from Battlefront don`t have decals on the vehicles. Even when you piece them together with micro-tweezers and a lot of swearing, they then have a tendency to silver. And that is not just the Chieftain decals, that`s all the Battlefront UK armour sets I`ve used for Team Yankee. Pity.

To remedy this I gave the whole (teeny-tiny 15mm) sheet a thin coat of Microscale`s `Liquid Decal Film` which adds a bit of backbone to the crumbling decals. It`s basically used by modellers to save decals that have been kicking around the attic for forty years.

The decals aside- the Chieftain goes together well, and looks the part, and I score it eight and a half big booming cannon out of ten. SWEET! :D
Last edited by WingAttackPlan-R on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Team Yankee - Iron Maiden - `Eavy Metal AFVs

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Britain`s old faithful `Battle-Taxi`, the FV432, so faithful that some still serve in the British Army as the Bulldog.

BAOR2.jpg
BAOR2.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

Lovely little model this, five to a box, commanders, decals etc.. You also get the option of making the mortar carrying version or the Swingfire missile launcher.
This offering is just nice-nice-nice!
That is all. :D
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm

The Swingfire missile launcher version of the FV432.

BAOR6.jpg
BAOR6.jpg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

You can launch Swingfire and still be `Gone to Ground` in Team Yankee thanks to the actual system`s ability to be guided by a remote station up to fifty metres from the vehicle.
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm

PBI, here comes the boys.

BAOR3.jpg
BAOR3.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

Nice models these, no Sterling SMG but plenty of L1A1 SLR, Carl Gustav, LAW rockets and, of course, GPMG.

Some of the quality control goes a bit wavy in about one in twenty five models, but nothing hideous and a nice set all the same. Me likes a lot! Could use these guys for Falklands scenarios.
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Scimitar/Scorpion box set. Scorpion looks a little more believable, as the 30mm Rarden cannon on the Scimitar is a little chunky.

BAOR4.jpg
BAOR4.jpg (90.28 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

Not enough to put me off getting this though. :D
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Up until now, the vehicles have been plastic sprue offerings. The Abbot 105mm self-propelled gun is a mixture of Battlefront`s traditional resin and white metal.

BAOR5.jpg
BAOR5.jpg (91.73 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

The running gear is a bit of a fiddle to get lined-up properly, and to make my life more difficult, I drilled-out the baffles in the muzzle break with a microdrill. Mainly because I like burning my fingers and swearing loudly.

Builds into a really nice Abbot however. :D
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm

One of the most distinctive vehicles available to the Brits is the Tracked Rapier mobile surface to air missile system.

BAOR7.jpg
BAOR7.jpg (99.72 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

This was a nightmare to build, had me considering defecting to the Communists. But if you resist the urge to put your head through the table, then this can build into a nice model.

`Mon the Brits! :D
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Team Yankee - Iron Maiden - AFVs + Infantry

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:53 pm

superb, mainly for the modelling commentary :D
Russ

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Cheers, Russ. I meant to say as well, that the most expensive place to get Battlefront stuff is direct from Battlefront. :o
Always seem to get a better deal when shopping around online game stores.

The first meeting of the New Year is Sunday the 6th, hope to see you there.

Ho Ho Ho :D
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby maelmordha » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 am

Nice - I suppose I'll have to do one for the Warpac forces. Yum Kipper Egyptians first though methinks.
maelmordha
Site Admin

Next

Return to Public Forum