Board index Open Forums - Start Here! Public Forum

Public Forum - Open to all! However you must register to post anything on this board.

All things from all men (and women and intelligent animals, aliens, elves, et al too I suppose)

Spam will be neutered... and the perpetrator too....

Missiles at Sea/Victory at Sea

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi all
this may be more for Steve, but Klavs was talking about a modern version of Victory at Sea (basically `A Call to Arms` on water). He thought that Steve had details of this, and I was wondering if this is said same:
http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Missiles_at_Sea

Looks a darn sight more playable than `Harpoon` and possibly `Shipwreck` also.

Cheers, Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Re: Missiles at Sea/Victory at Sea

Postby TomMcC » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:41 pm

If you're thinking about modern naval - have you ever considered boardgames?

I'm not sure all that's out there. But there is the Fleet series by Victory Games. They're OOP now, but each game had lots of 1980s Soviet and others vs US and others scenarios. I have 2nd Fleet (North Atlantic), 6th Fleet (The Med) and 7th Fleet (the far east) but I've not played in years. I think there's also 5th Fleet and 3rd Fleet. Counters are capital ships n subs and various plane squadrons. Hexes were 46 miles across and turns 8 hours iirc. Very complex.

Have a search or a look on BGG sometime.

cheers,
Tom
TomMcC

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Tom
I`d like to have a look at that sometime, more time now that winter`s coming. Sounds like a strategic level game, which would be interesting.
I`d still like to also play a tactical game with the moohassive Soviet fleet I`ve built, just on the off chance of a run-in with those decadent NATO gangsters.
I`m happy to do both boardgame and model Cold War naval given the chance.
I`ll look this up on t`web. Let me know what you find, Tom.
Cheers, Ian
"Across the Federation, Federation experts agree that: A: God exists, B: He's on our side, C: He wants us to win."
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Postby WingAttackPlan-R » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:00 pm

Having spoken to Klavs it`s clear that these are the rules and that they hit the right mark between complexity to allow varying kinds of ship system capabilities, and abstraction to allow fast game play.
I`ll look forward to playing these.
Ian
-Federation Announcer
WingAttackPlan-R

Return to Public Forum